Because the conflict enters its 622nd day, these are the primary developments.
Right here is the state of affairs on Tuesday, November 7, 2023.
- The 128th Separate Mountain Assault Brigade confirmed that 19 of its troopers had been killed final week in a Russian air assault that President Volodymyr Zelenskyy earlier described as “a tragedy”. The troopers had been attacked as they gathered for an awards ceremony at a village close to the entrance line within the southern Zaporizhia area. Ukraine has opened an investigation into the incident.
- Andriy Kovalyov, a spokesperson for the Normal Employees of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, informed state tv that over the previous week, Ukrainian forces had repelled Russian assaults close to the village of Robotyne within the southern Zaporizhia area. Kovalyov mentioned “offensive operations” had been additionally below approach south of Bakhmut, which Russia captured in Might, and that Moscow was persevering with its efforts to take Avdiivka.
- Zelenskyy mentioned Ukrainian forces had destroyed the Askold, a Russian cruise missile service, on the Kerch shipyard in annexed Crimea. Kyiv mentioned over the weekend that it had “efficiently” carried out assaults in that space. Russia mentioned on Sunday that one ship had been broken. It didn’t identify the vessel.
- At the least eight folks had been damage after a drone and missile attack on the southern Ukrainian metropolis of Odesa. The Odesa Effective Arts Museum, in one of many metropolis’s oldest tsarist-era palaces, was among the many buildings broken within the assault.
- Oleksandr Prokudin, the governor of Ukraine’s southern Kherson area, mentioned a Russian missile hit 4 buildings, injuring a lady.
- Main Hennady Chastyakov, an assistant to Ukraine’s navy commander-in-chief, was killed in an explosion. Inside Minister Ihor Klymenko mentioned the blast occurred at Chastyakov’s house as he was displaying his 13-year-old son birthday items he had been given by colleagues, together with a field of Western-manufactured grenades. Klymenko mentioned an investigation was below approach.
- Chechen chief Ramzan Kadyrov mentioned a big contingent of former Wagner Group mercenaries had began coaching together with his Akhmat particular forces. He didn’t say what number of Wagner fighters had been collaborating within the coaching or whether or not any would keep on with Chechen forces afterwards. Wagner forces performed a key function in Russia’s seize of Bakhmut earlier this 12 months.
Politics and diplomacy
- Zelenskyy mentioned it was “irresponsible” to speak about holding elections in wartime and the nation wanted to concentrate on its efforts to push Russian forces out of its territory. “We have to recognise that this can be a time for defence, a time for battle, upon which the destiny of the state and its folks rely… I imagine that elections aren’t applicable presently,” Zelenskyy mentioned in his nightly video tackle.
- Ukrainian prosecutors mentioned a former deputy defence minister and his subordinate had been notified they had been being investigated for the “embezzlement of state funds and obstruction of the lawful actions of the armed forces of Ukraine”. The practically $28m case surrounds the acquisition of winter uniforms from a Turkish firm, which Ukrainian journalists have linked to a member of Zelenskyy’s political get together.
- Radio Free Europe’s performing president Jeffrey Gedmin mentioned the broadcaster fears Russia is utilizing its journalist Alsu Kurmasheva as a “hostage” within the hope of a possible prisoner swap with the US. Kurmasheva, who has Russian and US citizenship, has been in Russian custody since October 18.
- Herman Smetanin, the overall director of Ukraine’s state arms producer, mentioned Ukroboronprom was growing assault drones much like the Shahed-136 utilized by Russia however with a variety of 1,000km (620 miles).
- French firm Cybergun mentioned it signed a contract value 36 million euros ($39m) to produce Ukraine with weapons, together with hand grenades and assault rifles.