Because the conflict enters its 621st day, these are the principle developments.
Right here is the scenario on Monday, November 6, 2023.
- Ukraine’s Defence Minister Rustem Umerov ordered an investigation after a Russian missile strike killed a number of troopers throughout what media reviews mentioned was an “award ceremony” close to the entrance line within the southern Zaporizhia area on Friday. Media reviews mentioned greater than 20 troopers had been killed within the assault. The navy confirmed members of the 128th Mountain Assault Brigade had been killed however didn’t present casualty figures. “It is a tragedy that would have been averted,” Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned in his night tackle on Sunday.
- Yurii Malashko, the governor of the Zaporizhia area, mentioned 9 civilians had been injured in Zarichne, the village the place the troopers on the award ceremony had been killed. It was considered one of 26 cities and settlements within the area that got here underneath Russian assault over 24 hours from Friday into Saturday, he mentioned.
- Ukraine’s armed forces mentioned they hit a shipyard in Kerch on the japanese coast of Russian-occupied Crimea with cruise missiles. Russian information businesses citing the nation’s Ministry of Defence mentioned Ukraine had attacked the shipyard with 15 cruise missiles and air defence techniques destroyed 13 of them. A ship was broken, however there have been no casualties.
Politics and diplomacy
- In a joint press convention in Kyiv with European Fee President Ursula von der Leyen, Zelenskyy rejected a report by the USA information outlet NBC that Kyiv was underneath stress to start out negotiations with Russia. “Nobody amongst our companions is pressuring us to take a seat down with Russia, speak to it, and provides it one thing,” he mentioned. He additionally famous that the war in Gaza had drawn consideration away from Ukraine and mentioned that this was “Russia’s objective”.
- Von der Leyen, in the meantime, mentioned that Ukraine had made “wonderful progress” in direction of European Union accession highlighting Kyiv’s judicial reforms. The bloc will launch an evaluation on Wednesday on Ukraine’s progress in fulfilling varied financial, authorized and different standards to clear the way in which for accession talks in December.
- Talking on NBC’s Meet the Press program, Zelenskyy referred to as on the US to offer extra funding to assist his forces counter Russia, warning that with out it, US troopers could possibly be pulled right into a wider European battle with Russia. Zelenskyy additionally invited former US President Donald Trump, who has been crucial of US help for Ukraine and is making a bid for a second time period in workplace in 2024, to fly into the nation and see the dimensions of the battle for himself.