The Israeli military killed at the least 165 folks up to now 24 hours as Netanyahu doubles down on his refusal of a Palestinian state.
Right here’s how issues stand on Sunday, January 21, 2024:
- A video verified by Al Jazeera confirmed a fireplace broke out in Gaza’s Jabalia refugee camp after an in a single day Israeli assault within the space.
- Hundreds of individuals rallied in central Tel Aviv on Saturday, demanding the return of Hamas captives and elections to interchange Netanyahu’s authorities.
- The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) is urging an investigation into allegations by pro-Palestine college students at Columbia College in New York that they had been sprayed with a noxious “chemical agent” during their protest on Friday.
- Tess Ingram, a communication specialist for UNICEF, known as on the world to deliver a right away finish to the “warped model of regular” in Gaza in a video assertion posted on X on Saturday.
- Israeli forces dropped leaflets in southern Gaza on Saturday, suggesting advantages for individuals who present info to Israel on captives taken by Hamas on October 7.
Human influence and combating
- Previously 24 hours, the Israeli military has been accused of committing a number of massacres towards Palestinian households within the Gaza Strip, killing at the least 165 folks, in line with the Gaza Ministry of Well being.
- Israeli shelling east of the Jabalia refugee camp in Gaza on Saturday killed four Palestinians and injured 21 others, in line with the Palestine Pink Crescent Society.
- Syrian state media SANA stated Israel attacked a building in Damascus on Saturday. Israel has not claimed accountability for the assault or provided any remark.
- Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi promised to hit back at Israel following the air raid on Syria after it killed 5 members of the nation’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, in line with state broadcaster IRIB on Saturday.
- America navy personnel focused in an assault on Iraq’s Ain al-Assad airbase on Saturday suffered “minor” accidents, the Reuters information company reported, quoting an unnamed US official. A member of Iraq’s safety forces was additionally wounded within the assault.
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu reiterated his opposition to the impartial Palestinian state, rebuffing the Biden administration’s stand on the difficulty. “Full Israeli safety management … is opposite to a Palestinian State,” he posted on X, previously Twitter.
- UN Secretary-Normal Antonio Guterres reiterated on Sunday that “the denial of the appropriate to statehood for the Palestinian folks” is “unacceptable”. “The correct of the Palestinian folks to construct their very own state have to be acknowledged by all,” he posted on X.
- On Saturday, the US Workplace of Palestinian Affairs called for an “pressing investigation” into the killing of 17-year-old Palestinian-American Tawfiq Ajaq within the occupied West Financial institution.
- San Francisco Mayor London Breed declined to veto a decision by metropolis officers calling for an extended ceasefire in Gaza, saying the measure would depart her metropolis “angrier, extra divided and fewer secure”. Breed defined that her veto would ship the difficulty again to the board of supervisors, in whom she has “no confidence”.
- At a international coverage convention on Saturday, British Shadow International Secretary David Lammy confronted interruptions from pro-Palestinian protesters throughout a speech and briefly left the rostrum, saying he wished “change by way of energy, not by way of protest”.
- Saudi Arabia’s Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud says the dominion is “very frightened” a few “troublesome and harmful time within the area” amid Red Sea tensions, Reuters reported, citing a CNN interview that can be aired on Sunday.